What causes error: Source - NVWMI | Level - Warning | Instance and Method provider registration failed - (null) hr=0xFFFFFFFA (-6)?
This error can occur if:
- The NVIDIA Graphics Driver is not installed correctly
- The NVIDIA Graphics Driver is not uninstalled correctly
- There is an issue with the operating system detecting the GPU
- There is an issue with the NVIDIA graphics driver detecting the GPU
Because NVWMI uses NVIDIA graphics driver API calls, the NVIDIA graphics driver must be able to communicate with graphics driver and GPU in order for NVWMI to function correctly.
NVWMI is installed by default and loads automatically when you log into Windows.
If NVWMI is unable to communicate with the GPU or NVIDIA graphics driver, NVWMI will fail to register and this error may appear.
To resolve this issue:
For Desktops and Workstations (and notebooks when applicable):
- Verify that the GPU is a Quadro, NVS or GRID card
- Verify that the operating system supports the NVIDIA graphics driver
- Verify that the GPU is supported by the NVIDIA graphics driver
- Perform a clean install with a supported graphics driver (see article 2900 for clean install instructions)
- Verify GPU is not faulty by installing it in a different PC or installing a different GPU in your PC if possible
For Virtualized configurations:
- Verify that the VIB or RPN file are from the same release as the NVIDIA Graphics Driver
- The VIB or RPN and NVIDIA Graphics Driver has been tested with the build version of Hypervisor used
- VM has been properly configured in the host hypervisor